Fruit or vegetable?Many people assume something is a vegetable just because it doesn’t resemble a fruit… however I can tell you many things thought to be veg is actually a fruit. The following are actually fruits and not vegetables.
- Bell peppers: Yes, bell peppers are fruits… this is due to the seeds inside.
- Avocado: Scientifically speaking, it is a single-seed berry. According to University of California Agriculture & Natural Resources, the fruit refers to the matured ovary of a flower.
- Aubergine: If you cut open an aubergine and look closely, it contains several tiny seeds embedded in its flesh which makes it a berry and not a vegetable.
- Pumpkin: it surely looks too huge to be a fruit, but pumpkin is. It contains seeds just like other fruits and in fact has a subtle sweetish flavour too which it derives from the plant. In fact, pumpkins are also popularly used to make both sweet and savoury muffins
- Green peas: the green colour doesn't mean that they are vegetables. Pea is a small round seed encased in a pod fruit.
- Olives: olives are actually fruits of the olive tree. They are formed from the ovary of the olive flower and contain tiny pits which are the seeds. Essentially, the reproductive parts of a plant are known as fruits.